incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][IDEA][FUNCTIONALITY] named constant
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:06:03 GMT
Hi,

Nazmul Alam schrieb:
> Hello everybody,
> I am new to ooo-dev list. I am looking forward to contribute towards AOO.
>
> I like to discuss an idea regarding text input functionality. I don't know
> if this already exists or not because I used OO a long time ago.
>
> [IDEA]
> User can register several named constant in AOO, for example -
> DocumentTitle = "An introduction to XYZZY", and then use this named
> constant in the document to quickly insert the string literal multiple
> times. Now suppose for some reason he/she has to change the Document title
> to "An introduction to AOO" in the document. Instead of performing
> Search+Replace, he can rename the named constant which will reflect the
> change in the document. Grouping and formatting can be add to increase more
> possibility.
>
> [Benefits]
> - ux improvement
>
> [Risk]
> - additional learning for user
> - personal preference

Such a feature already exists. You can use a so called "Field".

There exist some predefined fields, which you can fill in File >
Properties. You insert them via Insert > Fields.

You can use additional predefined fields via Insert > Fields > Other.

You can create and use your own field via Insert > Fields > Other >
Variables > 'User field'. And later on you can edit the content in Edit
 > Fields in addition.

If the way through the menu and sub-menu is to long for you, you can
record a macro for inserting the field and assign this macro to a
shortcut key or button.

> Let me know your valuable thoughts.
> Sorry for the English.

That is no problem :) Most of us are not native English speaker.

Kind regards
Regina