incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Risto Jääskeläinen <rjaas...@saunalahti.fi>
Subject Re: Should quickstarter be enabled or disabled by default?
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:20:34 GMT
19.07.2012 12:18, Jürgen Schmidt kirjoitti:
> On 7/19/12 12:12 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Risto Jääskeläinen <rjaaskel@saunalahti.fi
>>> wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>> Whole suite will be a bit lighter and a bit simpler without quickstarter.
>>>   I feel it is needless, unnötig, tarpeeton.
>>> So in mean time it should be disabled before it is removed from source
>>> code.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Risto
>>>
>> Thanks for these interesting comments Risto...
>>
>> Really, just from items that pop up this list, IMO, it does seem to cause
>> more harm than good.
> I think a little bit more research would be helpful, a real performance
> test etc.
>
> Saying that the whole suite becomes a bit lighter is of course not what
> I have in mind here ;-)
>
> We had a problem that is fixed and the quickstarter provides more
> features that people like. And people who don't like can already disable it.
>
> I see no reason at the moment to change here anything because the
> problem is fixed.
>
> If we have problems with a feature let us fix it and not drop the
> feature completely ;-)
>
> But that is only my personal opinion
>
> Juergen

Hello!
Supposing that quickstarter is working without any faults there is still
a time stealing hiding in it. Those  users who use OpenOffice only once
and while lost a bit their working time every day they start their
computer and not use use OpenOffice at that session. It can happen even
twice a day. This happens to many if it is default because users seldom
change the settings.

So there must consider quickstarter per session, not only per starting
of OpenOffice. Also must take account different types of users. I
suppose quickstarter wastes time if it is count for all user totally.

Regards
Risto