incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: where is the donation button
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:51:52 GMT
On 7/17/12 7:45 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com

>>> Well an interesting and challenging idea. ALL our pages...do mean this
>>> literally?
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas?
>>>

>> It should be possible to do this via an addition to the header or
>> footer.  A prominent place would be the upper right, maybe where we
>> currently have the Incubator logo.
>
> I added the link in a the more subtle place in the footer. So far it is only on http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/

after looking several times on the page I have seen it ;-)

I think if we really want to promote the donation possibility it have to
be more prominent and I agree to Rob that the upper right corner would
be perfect.

I would prefer a donation button that either goes to a PayPal page
directly or a separate page where we give some more background why
donations to Apache helps AOO. Here we can link to the the Apache
donation page as well where people can find bank information for other
donation channels.

I know from the past that we have reached many, many small donations
from many individuals who would never send a check or would probably
never do a wired transaction.

But I agree that we should contact fundraising before we go live with
anything.

Juergen

>> But I'd recommend raising the idea with V.P., Fundraising.   My
>> impression was the ASF is more geared to receiving larger
>> contributions.  Although receiving 10,000 donations of 10 euros would
>> be significant, I imagine it would increase bookkeeping work, and I
>> wouldn't want to flood anyone unless they were prepared for this.
>>
>> So maybe a note to Fundraising@ is in order?
>
> I would say that we should commit the footer change and then ask them about a button
at the top - perhaps to the right of "search".