incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Unexpected behavior while writing Calc Functions
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:09:18 GMT

I wrote a simple function

Function mydate As Date
   mydate = CDate(100)
End Function

I then called this function from a Calc document

=myDate()

Finally, I directly accessed the cells with the dates from a macro
similar to the following code:

Print ThisComponent.Sheets(0).getCellByPosition(0, 1).Value

The cell displayed the value as I expected, but the returned value was
zero.

Turns out that dates are converted to strings when returned to Calc.
Oops. The proper thing to do (if you want it to work as expected) is to
return a numeric value.

Side note, this behavior is the same in the Apache and the Libre version
of OO, so this has probably been there a long time.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info: http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php