incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Next Release - 3.4.2? 3.5? 4.0?
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:56:36 GMT
Generally agreeing. So top posting.

The problem I see with LTS is that it leads to additional energy put on old releases. In the
past, the only choice was to upgrade. Or not, and wait for a release with the blocking bug
fixed (in case it prevented the upgrade). It kept the development focusing on the next release.

Perhaps the first thing to implement is the possibility of fixes by patches so that maintenance
of former versions can be dealt without much energy. See the OOo 3.3 issue with ODF documents:
it could have been fixed by a mere patch I guess (but I'm no developer).

What could be a good "marketing" move is to have a (not so) minor version (before 4.0) that
focuses on a bug fix major campaign. There are many popular bugs (with many votes) still alive.
Since the code has been partly cleaned during the IP clearance, what about having a [new]
look at all those bugs? I think that as users, we are more concerned by existing bugs than
waiting for new features. I recall for example the 65k characters limit for paragraphs that
is a show blocker for many lawyers in US (some of their documents have to be a single paragraph
it seems).
Once we start using AOO, a missing feature is hardly a show stopper (or in such case, it's
checked at a first and AOO is then removed immediately, there won't be any feedback, the user
won't bother to do it after a first installation).
But bugs are really obstacles to productivity and not working on them leads to frustration
for the users and demonstrates poor consideration for users.

Hagar