incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <>
Subject Re: Suggestion - file format
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 04:59:27 GMT

I agree with Dennis, if there is already an association, ask. I
frequently use computers with more than one application that uses ODF
file formats as the default format.

The problem, of course, is how to choose which to associate. For
example, off hand, the first thought is that you have an ODF for write,
calc, impress, base, and draw. Well, Write may be ODT or SXW (as an

> I am concerned that a bad behavior is being suggested.
> Considerations:
>   1. Apache OpenOffice does not "own" the ODF file-format extensions, ODT, ODP, ODS,
etc.  ( did not either.)
>   2. It is rude to take over those associations on install if they are already associated
with a different application.
>   3. In case that the associations are found to already exist and not be for a version
being updated, the associations should not be changed without consulting the user.  (This
problem has already been encountered and handled well in cases where common multimedia extensions
are supported by more than one application, such as Windows Media Player, Apple QuickTime,
and RealPlayer.)
> There may be a way to register Apache OpenOffice as a secondary application that can
be selected easily by Windows Users even when the default association is not to Apache OpenOffice.
>   - Dennis
> PS: The handling of the associations that are customarily associated with Microsoft Office
file formats can be similar.

Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document:

View raw message