incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Next Release - 3.4.2? 3.5? 4.0?
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:38:35 GMT
J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> In a 3.5 we can integrate many fixes and fidelity improvements from
> Symphony as Simon pointed out without bigger UI changes but of huge
> value for customers who have to work deal with MS formats etc. And of
> course we will increase the quality.

Speaking with (too) little knowledge of the effort involved, I would
keep a 3.4.x series with periodic bugfix releases, but use the trunk
directly for a 4.0 release including the UI changes from Symphony and
the other improvements. I don't see reasons for an intermediate 3.5
version unless the effort to reach 4.0 requires too long (say, one year).

Working towards version 4.0 will bring even more interest towards the
project and, since the changes would be many and substantial, branding
the release as 4.0 would be totally justified.

Regards,
   Andrea.