incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Next Release - 3.4.2? 3.5? 4.0?
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:20:36 GMT
Hi all,

Shenfeng Liu schrieb:
> Hi, all,
>    Since we are stepping forward to the 3.4.1 release smoothly, I think
> maybe it is time for us to look ahead for our next release now.
>
>    I remember we had a discussion previously on how to run AOO's future
> releases, time boxed vs content boxed, 3.4.1 vs 3.5 vs 4.0... I think we
> should resume this discussion.
>
>    IMHO, timely release will give AOO a very good promotion to marketing.
> Certainly we can decide the size of the release. We released 3.4 at May 8,
> and then will release 3.4.1 after about 3 months. It looks like a very good
> rhythm. Maybe we can consider a 3.4.2 in 4Q, 3.5 in 1Q next year...
>
>    Another way to consider is the release contents. Checking the feature
> requirement list and defect backlog, see what we can make after 3 months or
> 6 months. Or if there is any thing must be in the next release no matter
> how long it will take (e.g. security fix). We partially did this practice
> before by collecting the 4.0 requirements in wiki:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Feature+Planning.
> And I remember there was a common interesting at that time that we
> should
> do an immediate release for critical defect fixes (which is 3.4.1 that we
> are doing now), and then a mid-term release which majorly target to
> fidelity improvements (3.5), and a long term release with Symphony values
> on UX and social integrations (4.0)...
>
>    I'm not sure how to do a release proposal. Is that we should create a
> project wiki and discuss the release goals, contents, outlook GA date? And
> if we agree on this release, we move on. If we do not agree, we abandon it?
>
>    I'm asking because I want to propose that:
>
> (1) We should begin to check if any critical defects in our backlog that
> require us for a 3.4.2.
>
> (2) We should begin to discuss a bigger release like 3.5 on the release
> goals, and proposed contents, and the release number...
>
>    Just my 2 cents... Any suggestion/comments?

I thought it might be useful to look in the history and have extracted
some dates from http://ftp-1.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/archive/stable/

OOo 1.0.2          2003-03-14
OOo 1.0.3          2003-04-18
OOo 1.1.0          2003-10-14
OOo 1.1.4secpatch  2005-04-12
OOo 1.1.5          2005-09-04
OOo 1.1.5secpatch  2006-07-04
OOo 1.1.5secpatch2 2006-12-22
OOo 2.1.0          2006-12-14
OOo 2.2.0          2007-03-22
OOo 2.2.1          2007-06-04
OOo 2.3.0          2007-07-14
OOo 2.3.1          2007-11-15
OOo 2.4.0          2008-03-16
OOo 2.4.1          2008-05-30
OOo 2.4.2          2008-10-27
OOo 2.4.3          2009-08-24
OOo 3.0.0          2008-10-06
OOo 3.0.1          2009-01-26
OOo 3.1.0          2009-05-04
OOo 3.1.1          2009-08-20
OOo 3.2.0          2010-02-03
OOo 3.2.1          2010-05-26
OOo 3.3.0          2011-01-18
OOo 3.4beta        2011-04-07

We had the first <micro>-release after around 3 month. The next ones
when needed, with support of the last <minor>-release up to 1 year 3 month.

We had <minor>-releases all 9 month (around) and <major>-release 3 years
9 months from OOo1 to OOo2 and 1 year 10 months form OOo2 to OOo3.

We have to consider, that the development is no longer enterprise driven
and that there are less translators as before.

Kind regards
Regina