incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shmuel Wolfson <shmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Suggestion - file format
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:43:43 GMT
I have a suggestion for OpenOffice that I think will help it become more
popular.

Most users are not very computer savvy. They are afraid of
incompatibility so they stick to Word which most people have. Therefore
I think the default option when installing OpenOffic should be to save
files in MS Office formats.

You could have a dialog box asking the user to select whether they want
the default file format to be:

o Files compatible with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- recommended for users who want compatibility with Microsoft Office

o Files compatible with the open standard - recommended for advanced users

The default should be compatible with Microsoft Office so when the
average user just clicks Next, that's what they will get. I know that
there is an option to change the default format, but the average user
doesn't know that and isn't interested in having to do that step.

--
Regards,
Shmuel