incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: comments.apache.org
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:56:52 GMT
On 7/10/12 1:37 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 9, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> This looks interesting/useful:   https://comments.apache.org/
>>>
>>> Would this make sense for our core files under /ooo-site ?
>>
>> This is very cool.
>>
>> I think it can be used effectively on the API site, why, downloads, and many other
parts of ooo-site.

>> I would not add this to any NL sites without proper moderators.
>>

> I would not put it on the main home page or the download page, or
> similar pages where the extreme volume would almost certainly lead to
> large numbers of out-of-place support questions being posted.    On a
> page with 5 million+ monthly hits, all it takes is 0.1% user confusion
> for us to get flooded.
>
> But it would probably work for API pages, or building guide,  pages
> that are technical instructions.   Release notes or install
> instructions would be other examples, albeit with much greater
> traffic.
>
>> I would start with one or two pages to get the formula correct. Once found turning
the page on will become part of the site template and controlled from the ssi.mdtext in the
templates dir.

> It would be good to know also how we manage this as pages are revised
> and when we use this versus anonymous CMS.  For example, if a user
> puts a comment that says, "Step X should really say 'foo'", then if we
> later modify that page, then we have the extra step of going back to
> delete the comment, I assume.
>

> In any case, might make sense to pilot this in a small, focused way to
> see how users will use it.
>
> But certainly exciting possibilities!

indeed and we had thought about such a feature in the past for our API
reference.

See for exmaple3 the PHP reference here
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php

The question is how we can integrate the feedback in a proper way... But
it is indeed very interesting.

Juergen