incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal to activate the update service for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 08:51:39 GMT
Hi,

> I am sorry - again some stuff regarding our update service.
>
> As it has been pointed out in [1] there are some more OOo versions out there for
> which we can activate the update service.
>
> Thus, I am proposing to activate the update service for installed OOo 3.2 and
> OOo 3.2.1 instances for which we have an AOO 3.4 installation package.
> These would be OOo 3.2/3.2.1 versions of the following languages on Windows,
> MacOS X, Linux 32bit and Linux 64bit:
> - English (US)
> - Arabic
> - Chinese (simplified)
> - Chinese (traditional)
> - Czech
> - Dutch
> - French
> - Galician
> - German
> - Hungarian
> - Italian
> - Japanese
> - Portuguese (Brazilian)
> - Russian
> - Spanish
>
> If nobody objects, I will work on the following tasks to make this happen:
> (A) get in contact with Apache infrastructure in order to get the following
> Update URLs of OOo 3.2.1 and OOo 3.2 redirected:
> -- http://update35.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> -- http://update34.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> These are the Update URL of OOo 3.2.1 resp. OOo 3.2
> (B) creation of corresponding XML documents at the following URLs:
> -- http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update35/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> -- http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update34/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> The content of these XML documents will be more or less the same as for our OOo
> 3.3 update service, found at [2], but will contain download URLs with
> corresponding URL parameters in order to identify the OOo version which is using
> the update function.
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/kepaycvdsaibijn6
> [2] http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

No objections so far. Thus, I will go ahead.

Best regards, Oliver.

P.S.:
Remark, for me it looks like that the user experience of upgrading from an
installed OOo 3.2/OOo 3.2.1 to AOO 3.4 does not differ from the user experience
when upgrading from OOo 3.3 to AOO 3.4. Some drawbacks were reported, but it
does not look like to me that upgrading from OOo 3.2/OOo 3.2.1 has different ones.