incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create ooo-l10n@incubator.apache.org
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 19:25:32 GMT
Am 07/02/2012 08:14 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Well I don't recall your original suggestion, but this sounds like a very
>>> worthwhile idea. Our translation efforts are gaining importance and
>>> momentum and it would help if a more focused area were available.
>>>

>> The suggestion was originally another thread.  You can see the fuller
>> justification here:
>>
>> http://markmail.org/message/4zn3z2gor5chuv4n
>
> It was deep in a thread where it was your 5th message within 2 hours. I'm sorry, but
my Rob filter does trigger at some point.

> I'm glad you are bringing this up again.
>
> I think that the name ooo-l10n is a hard one to understand. It is too technical plus
"l" and "1" are hard to distinguish.

> I think ooo-translate would be clear.
>
> +1 either way.

As it is not only translating A into B but also to integrate other
locale-releated things (e.g., 1,000.00 US-$ or EUR 1.000,00)
localization is the a good fitting word.

And I don't think that "@ooo-l10n" is the first point to get in touch
with this entry. It's more likely to come from the webportal
"http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/" or the general ML @ooo-dev to the
localization ML. Then it should become clear by itself.

So, +1 for the new list.

Marcus

>>> Would this include BOTH translations for the product as well as web related
>>> matters? I don't know how the original was used really...
>>>

>> Yes, it could handle both.
>
> Yes, agreed. I have been thinking about NL and may have a radical suggestion - I need
to discuss an idea about the CMS with Joe. Essentially I would like to make translations live
alongside the en-US versions in the website.This is a whole other discussion.