incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Crazy idea: Use Google to translate website
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 08:52:27 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> Google is now enabling the suggested
> translations to go back to the website owner for review and approval.
> They've also added site-specific glossary support ...
> So this is getting interesting.

In itself this would be an interesting idea, but I wouldn't adopt it
since it has high chances of backfiring.

Machine-quality translations are widely regarded as an indicator of scam
e-mails/sites and we definitely don't want that users suspect that the
official site is just yet another more or less legitimate site offering
OpenOffice for download. So this approach would probably scare more
users away than those it can attract by "crowdsourcing" the site
localization.

Regards,
   Andrea.