incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:55:52 GMT
Hi Jürgen, *,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 07:47:42AM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 7/17/12 6:03 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > I'd like to see if we can agree on a statement along these lines.  I
> > think it is important that we show how our project aligns with
> > Apache's overall mission, which the apache.org home page phrases as:
> > "provides support for the Apache community of open-source software
> > projects, which provide software products for the public good."
> >
> > I think we do and always have been strongly aligned with this goal.
> > But still, sometimes, we're questioned about our emphasis on
> > distributing binaries, or seeking support for items related to
> > distributing binaries.  In some ways we're the oddball at Apache,
> > being the only prominent end-user facing project.  So I think it will
> > help if we can express in clear terms how what we are doing is in fact
> > for the public good, and our aims and achievements are at least as
> > noble as what any other Apache project can claim.
>
> I totally agree and that is of course the most annoying point here at
> Apache for me. But that is another topic and not for this thread.

I guess it is because in Apache, so far, the idea was to provide
software for the public good in form of source, for others to build
their solutions upon. In OpenOffice's case, distributing binaries is
also for the public good, not only for the reason mentioned by Rob, but
mainly because OpenOffice provides a way to build your solution on top
of its binary distribution with extensions, without needing to compile
the source yourself, nor learn/modify a single line of code.

So it would be nice to have some numbers about extensions in Rob's paper
(of course, we can only measure extensions on the extension's site; this
will not include all the people builder their solutions in a commercial
way).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile