incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Allow to turn OOo-file locking off.
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:55:35 GMT
Hi Regina,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 04:29:50PM +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:
> I have tried it using the environment variables
> STAR_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING, STAR_PROFILE_LOCKING_DISABLED, and
> SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING. If you search for these you will find
> posts, where they are proposed as solution to prevent file locking.
> But I could not make it work (WinXP).

Thanks for the hint, I didn't know these environment variables.
OpenGroking a little I've seen this on the README
main/readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm

<h2 id="gfh6w" xml:lang="en-US">File Locking</h2>
${PRODUCTNAME}. On a network that uses the Network File System protocol
(NFS), the locking daemon for NFS clients must be active. To disable
file locking, edit the <tt>soffice</tt> script and change the line
SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING</tt>". If you disable file locking, the write
access of a document is not restricted to the user who first opens the
document.</p>

file locking feature can cause problems with Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.7 used
in conjunction with Linux NFS 2.0. If your system environment has these
parameters, we strongly recommend that you avoid using the file locking
feature. Otherwise, ${PRODUCTNAME} will hang when you try to open a file
from a NFS mounted directory from a Linux computer.</p>

It says that you have to edit

main/desktop/scripts/unopkg.sh#24
main/desktop/scripts/soffice.sh#29
main/padmin/source/spadmin.sh#24

These three scripts do:

SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING

I tried this advice for LINUX MAC SOLSPARC SOLX86 with:

a) SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=0
b) commenting both lines

but didn't work. Besides that how is this supposed to work on Win where
there are no scripts but executables... It seems something is really
broken.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile