incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 03:55:53 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:17:28 -0700
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> The following text is boilerplate on the model that is sent to all who are invited to
be committers on AOOi.  It is derived from a model document that is to be found on the Apache
site:

>     Hello <invitee>,
>
>     The Apache OpenOffice Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC)
>     hereby offers you committer rights to the project ... .
>
>     Being a committer enables you to more easily make changes without
>     needing to go through the patch submission process.  This applies
>     not only to the code base but other project areas, such as the
>     web sites.  ...
>
>     Being a committer does not require you to participate any more
>     than you already do.  It does tend to make one even more committed.
>     You will probably find that you spend more time here.
>
> That same text was in the invitation that Hagar received from the PPMC on 2012-03-04.

> This is my sole contribution to this thread.  I am disappointed that Hagar left the PPMC.

>  - Dennis

Many of you do not realise that the boiler plate quoted is _permissive_ not _compulsory_.
 There is no obligation on any committer to advance his involvement with the project more
than his circumstances enable him to offer.  This argument arose because Hagar was unfairly
and ungraciously told that he should do just that.  The much vaunted "Apache Way" seems to
be subject to very selective interpretation!

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>