incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:19:33 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:54:29 -0600
Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-07-17 2:38 PM Joe Schaefer wrote:
> >> ________________________________

I agree with Larry Gusaas.  It is important to remember that many of the participants to this
and other projects have real lives with concommitant duties and responsibilities, which we
may not wish to divulge publicly.  We give freely of our time, as permitted by those requirements;
for some (many) things we have not the spare time or leisure to devote, as in this case learning
how to edit a Wiki or a web page and/or making corrections to it.

You say "I have challenged you to increase your level of contribution to this project to match
the expectations of the other participants and committers on this mailing list"; this is utter
arrogance.  You and other contributors to this list have no knowledge of Hagar's responsibilities,
or of mine or of most other participants and are not entitled to demand that he do more, simply
because you think he ought.

You are perhaps not aware of the full level of Hagar's contribution to one aspect of OpenOffice,
the running of the Forum. The Forum takes some hundred a day postings off your lists, in terms
of actual queries posted, and some several hundred (perhaps more) per day which are answered
by users accessing its knowledge base, which if that were not there could materialise as extra
queries posted to your lists.  If the Forum collapses, your lists will become unworkable!
 All you, and all other contributors, are entitled to expect is that we deal honestly and
fairly with you, reading nothing beyond that into our words and requiring nothing beyond that;
part of that honesty is to say "I have not this or that ability, or the time/inclination to
learn it."

If someone points to a flaw, in whatever, and indicates that he has not the time or knowledge
or inclination to fix it, then that flaw and fix become fair game for anyone else to fix,
and that is as it should be.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>