incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: NewWikiMainPage
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:51:26 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:30:26 -0400
Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:13:55 +0100
> > "James Loring" <jamesloring@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Don't understand where I am supposed to pas my comments on to the software
> >> developers
> >>
> >> I have reloaded open office about 3 times in the last 24 hours as impress
> >> crashes every time I open a power point article and it fails to convert
> >> correctly, detail is missing. I was an old fan of open office but seem to be
> >> having nothing right with impress, I am not impressed.
> >>
> >> I am running windows xp with all service packs and MS office 2003
> >>
> > Is this the one powerpoint file, or all?  Remember that the file formats of MS Office
have been reverse engineered and the conversion may not be fully correct or complete.  It
is worth trying to delete or rename your User Profile.  Details on this are at
> > http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
> >
> > It is not generally understood, but un/re-installing of OpenOffice does not in general
make a new User Profile; it picks up the existing profile.  It can happen that the initial
profile generated is corrupt; deleting or renaming it (as outlined in above url) causes OpenOffice
to generate a new profile on next startup; this cures a very high percentage of OpenOffice
quirks.
> > --
>
> Since this seems to be such a common "solution", I wonder if we should
> add this directly to the product?  Something like a Help menu item, or
> Help/Support menu for "reset profile on restart" or something like
> that.   We don't want to make it so prominent that someone clicks it
> by accident.  But it would allow us to better support users if we
> could point them to this menu option instead of scary command-line
> instructions.
>
> -Rob

As the User Profile is actually open when OpenOffice is in use, such a "solution" might need
to be an external tool of some sort.  It would be good if such a "solution" renamed the profile
rather than deleting it.  As the profile contains all User customisation, it would be bad
to zap that beyond recovery.  A renamed profile would allow a reasonably competent user to
bring forward his customisation from the old to the new profile on an item by item basis.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>