incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Should quickstarter be enabled or disabled by default?
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:00:36 GMT
Hi Rob,

Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Grand@me.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rory,
>>
>> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>> [..]
>>>
>>> Armin: as far as I remember, Windows will remove any previously loaded
>>> DLL files from memory after about 10 minutes of un-use.
>>>

>> This would mean that it gets slower again after some time. I just did not
>> use AOO, but worked on something else ca. 1 1/2 Hrs after rebooting.
>> Nonetheless AOO started (doubleclicking the test document, no quickstarter,
>> last used after reboot) instantly. There must be some least-recently-used
>> thingy involved, I doubt that all dlls get kicked out after 10 min. Well,
>> may depend on mem available and other things, though...
>> I could not see it getting slower after 1 1/2 hours. If someone else has
>> seen this (without quickstarter, on Win) please comment here.
>>

> Also keep in mind the impact of multi-core.  In theory multi-core
> systems should be less slow at system start, since it could run the
> AOO quickstart task in parallel with other start up tasks. However,
> without quick start, the normal startup of AOO does not take advantage
> of multi-core.  So I'd expect a greater performance boast with modern
> hardware.

I guess only when we could manage to make AOO booting more multithreaded.

> But from user's perspective, I think the benefit depends on whether
> AOO is a key tool that they use several times a day, every day.  Or
> whether it is something they use only occasionally.

If used every day and quickstarter removed: Only when the first start is
done in the first five minutes (or less) after reboot the office will take
twice to three times as long as with quickstarter, after first start seems
no difference. When booting Win all three days may be acceptable. Remember
that with quickstarter system boot itself takes longer (what would be not
counted on our bill, though :-))

If used occasionally: Implies not used in the first 5 minutes, very small
(if at all) difference for first start, no system boot time and/or
ressources wasted (will the day come users of that type will com,plain
about this...?).

--
ALG