incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:04:44 GMT
On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 14:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> I'm drafting the 3.4.1 release announcement blog post.  I have a
> bullet list where I highlight what is in 3.4.1.  I list what platforms
> are supported, mention the Windows 8 compatibility improvements,  and
> then follow with this bullet item:
>
> "Community members are also working on BSD, Solaris and OS/2 ports,
> with plans to release these outside of Apache."

Howdy Rob,

> Is this accurate and worth saying?

Yes IIRC and yes IMO.

> Would it make sense to also
> include links for each of these ports, where the reader can go for
> more information?

I would think a better return if instead of putting direct links for
each, create a fixed address (wiki page?) for 'other ports' (or more
appropriate for a title).

Link to that from the announcement/blog and would make that a precedent
for future announcements.

> Although these are not Apache releases, they are part of the close
> ecosystem, with developers working directly in our project to support
> these ports.  So I think there is some logic to mentioning them in the
> release announcement.  But work that happens entirely outside of the
> project, like portable applications versions, would not get a mention.

I would disagree, somewhat, in that personal preference would be to
include the 2 or 3 portable 'wrapper' distributors as this has seemed to
be of interest to quite a few folks in the past.

Just my .02

//drew