incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Java download link on AOO site
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:03:58 GMT
The beauty of it is that you are only exposed to a level of complexity
consummate with the task at hand.  Making modest changes to a webpage
with the CMS is quick and largely painless.  The most difficult aspect
of the entire exercise is figuring out how and where to put the bookmarklet
in your collection of bookmarks.

The only thing unique tothe www.openoffice.org site is that given the
size of the tree it takesnearly a minute or so for svn to update itself
when pulling in changesto build, which can be confusing for new people
anxious to see the effects of their changes.  The builds themselves are very
fast;it's the svn ops that are relatively time consuming.

Making site-wide changes requires a much deeper understanding of how

the system as a whole works.  But for a task like this, as Dave said
it can be accomplished in a handful of minutes.  Everything is reversible
since it's all version controlled, so it's not possible to make a
catastrophic fuck-up.

With basic website management technologies at the ASF, you don't have
a wide range of choices.  If the CMS is unappealing the other options
will be less so, which is why most projects who have adopted the CMS
are satisfied with it.  It's not pretty, and is very simple and basic
technology-wise without reams of code behind it, but it gets the job done.

Let me not go without saying that yes, all contributions are welcome,
and yes Hagar made a valuable contribution to the project by raising
the issue and getting someone to apply the right fix.  I'm trying to
raise a higher-level issue here about how things "could have gone",
had Hagar figured out how to use the CMS well enough to accomplish
this himself.  The upshot is that one more person has a core skill
that can work to the project's benefit, which is a good thing for all
concerned.

No one can force someone to do something they don't want to do for
whatever reason, but at the same time don't expect that sort of
activity to hold up to scrutiny as model behavior.  Sysadmins are
known for calling out people on that sort of thing, not to demean
them, but to discuss it with an aim towards improvement.  That's all
I've tried to do here.