incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: comments.apache.org
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:32:19 GMT
On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 12:56 +0200, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 7/10/12 1:37 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> >> This is very cool.
> >>
> >> I think it can be used effectively on the API site, why, downloads, and many
other parts of ooo-site.

> >> I would not add this to any NL sites without proper moderators.
> >>

> > I would not put it on the main home page or the download page, or
> > similar pages where the extreme volume would almost certainly lead to
> > large numbers of out-of-place support questions being posted.    On a
> > page with 5 million+ monthly hits, all it takes is 0.1% user confusion
> > for us to get flooded.
> >
> > But it would probably work for API pages, or building guide,  pages
> > that are technical instructions.   Release notes or install
> > instructions would be other examples, albeit with much greater
> > traffic.
> >
> >> I would start with one or two pages to get the formula correct. Once found turning
the page on will become part of the site template and controlled from the ssi.mdtext in the
templates dir.

> > It would be good to know also how we manage this as pages are revised
> > and when we use this versus anonymous CMS.  For example, if a user
> > puts a comment that says, "Step X should really say 'foo'", then if we
> > later modify that page, then we have the extra step of going back to
> > delete the comment, I assume.
> >

> > In any case, might make sense to pilot this in a small, focused way to
> > see how users will use it.
> >
> > But certainly exciting possibilities!
>
> indeed and we had thought about such a feature in the past for our API
> reference.
>
> See for exmaple3 the PHP reference here
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php
>
> The question is how we can integrate the feedback in a proper way... But
> it is indeed very interesting.

Hi Juergen

Right, the idea of a feedback system for docs of more then just the API
has been bantered around a number of times.

Another example for the commenting system is on the documentation pages
for the trafficserver project:
http://trafficserver.staging.apache.org/docs/

The comment button is available for all the docs pages.

Moderation - seems that all comiters, from all ASF projects as
moderators by default. Indeed I just logged into the control panel and
fiddled a bit in the test project.. (oops, hope no one really wanted
those comments ;-)

Also found that I could subscribe for email notifications for incoming
comments, which as best as I can tell is at a project level.

One question: Is it possible to subscribe to a subset of comments, so if
a comment feature were added to both the on-line USER and API guides
could someone subscribe to notifications for incoming comments to the
user docs but not the API docs?

Otherwise - it looks interesting for sure.

//drew