incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Crazy idea: Use Google to translate website
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 23:18:15 GMT
Sorry for the top post. I like where this is going. A lot of interesting ideas.

I have one major concern. How do we manage the human created content as people replace and/or
edit the translations. What happens when the original English (or French) page is changed?
To me we are really discussing managing Markdown text. If the names of files are like:

index.mdtext
index.en-GB.mdtext
index.fr.mdtext

We'll have some type of Apache CMS magic that can handle translated SSI elements. I need to
write Joe / infra-dev an email...

Then if we can tie together the CMS to take translations and somehow inform either or both
the human and/or the tool translators when changes occur in other languages ... svn diff can
be used... assuming that...

With markdown it will be easy to have a header parameter that will signal the inclusion of
an SSI detailing the machine translated page vs. human translation situation. By making it
an SSI and translatable it can become something different language groups can handle in an
organic way. We'll have an objective measure of the engagement of different language communities
based on the the number of edits, number of translators and how up to date and/or responsive
they are.

I think we could start by creating a test-auto.mdtext file, and using the translate.google
to convert it to 100 pages. Put the scripts in the ooo-site/trunk/tools/ directory. If they
are perl scripts then in ooo-site/lib/.

Regards,
Dave