incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Google Analytics Calls [Was: Re: CSS debugging (ability to read Polish might help)]
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 01:20:18 GMT

On Jul 23, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

If so,

but I don't
HTML syntax to

into every header

It wasn't clear

>>> We have over 1000 pages with broken <head>'s.  The main issue is they
>>> don't have a <title>, and having a <title> is mandatory in HTML.
>>> Browsers don't treat it as a fatal error, but it does lead to
>>> suboptimal treatment in search engines.  Aside from lacking an
>>> important clue about the contents of the page, the search engine also
>>> expects to use the title to display in the search results page.  It
>>> also breaks things when user bookmarks page, sends to a friend in FB
>>> or Google+, etc.  Generally a bad thing not to have a <title>.
>>
>> OK, not the same as no head. Let me think about this. There are two approaches.
>>
>> (1) Identify the pages and insert <title> ... </title> tags in the source.
Preferred, but tedious.

>> (2) Extract the title from the source and assure that one is always provided from
the view.pm functions to the template.

>> I'll look at (2). It will involve perl in lib/view.pm along with changes to the templates.
>>
>> (a) In single_narrative check for headers.title and if missing create one.
>> (b) In html_page. Extract the title and remove from the header extracted from the
source html. If missing create a title.
>> (c) Skeleton template is changed to expect the headers.title to be set.
>>
>> OK. Some more to do. I'll let you know if I am ready tomorrow night or Tuesday. This
one is complex enough that I am going to work on it locally beforehand.

> Hi Dave -- Are we doing this tonight?

Hi Rob,

It looks like this is tomorrow night. I'll reply to your last email and let you know. Sorry
out of energy for today.

Regards,
Dave

<dave2wave@comcast.net>

> [...]