incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <>
Subject Re: development question of future feature
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:14:36 GMT
KG02 - See comments inline

On Jul 20, 2012, at 6:37 PM, TJ Frazier <> wrote:

> On 7/16/2012 18:07, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>> KG01 - Hey all, I'm back from the unconnected world.
>> Great topic. See comments inline.
>> On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Yong Lin Ma <> wrote:
>>> Just for the property sidebar. Kevin have done some analysis about how
>>> it can be integrated into AOO.
>> KG01 - Indeed, Symphony sidebar has some great behavior that we should adopt. My
assessment identifies specific aspects of the Symphony UX to adopt, and identifies opportunities
for AOO improvement as well. Ideally, we can provide a hybrib that reprenents the best of
both tools. Next step is to move the line items into Bugzilla.
>> I would also note that there ate many aspects of Symphony UX that would be great
to adopt. See. AOO UX wiki for more details.
>>> The problem is the migration of it from Symphony won't be
>>> straightforward and no one is actually working on it as far as I know.
>> KG01 - hmmmm....
>>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Guy Waterval <>
>> KG01 - visit the AOO UX wiki for more information on how we can move forward on our
next generation UI.
>> KG01 - Context sensitive toolbars are a great way to manage complexity and to progressively
disclose tool actions. The Symphony task pane is a great start. We could explore other approaches
to reduce the number of commands presented in the toolbars and make the available sections
more contextual.
>> KG01 - Re: next generation AOO UI. I will start a discussion thread on the AOO wiki
to advance this exploration. See wiki for details.
> Hi, Kevin,
> Two quick comments:
> (1) Links to the wiki are helpful to your readers here.

KG02 - Indeed, I'll create the pages and share the links when available. I'm on vacation right
now, and will update the UX wiki in a few days. Much to discuss here moving forward.

> (2) Pictures of the Symphony details are worth 10K words, especially in the .ODT documents
(it's easier there than on the wiki).

KG02 - I understand. Great suggestion.

> /tj/

View raw message