incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Terms of Service on Forums
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:34:12 GMT
Dave, I cc-d legal about the placing of an ASF Copyright on pages, something Rob suggested
and you seconded.  I was not intending to invite anything about the terms of service, etc.

Sorry about that,

 - Dennis

PS: There is a LEGAL JIRA issue about ToU for AOOi but it has gone nowhere AFAIK.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 12:41
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: Terms of Service on Forums

[ ... ]

You cc'd legal-discuss while cutting out much of this whole email completely destroying all
context. (Please cc: ooo-dev since not all of us are going to subscribe to the list to participate
in this discussion.)

Context:

IANAL, but I believe that the whole webpage with the project's own banner, footer and navigation
can be copyright The ASF whether or not all content in between those elements may have another
copyright or none.

Often we don't know the copyright because Sun and Oracle did not keep these records together
- there is a list of copyright holders but no way of knowing if their material is still in
the site or not.

We believe that we have implied consent to use all the material from Oracle that is on www.openoffice.org
and related domains.

Dennis thinks it is outrageous to have an ASF copyright on these combined web pages, what
does legal-discuss think?

If this should be or already is a LEGAL JIRA issue then I am fine discussing it there.

Regards,
Dave