incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [Review|Discussion]For Ideas and Comments on the Vision of Writer's Track Changes Improvement
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 16:36:24 GMT
I have questions about the way that the improvements are intended to be extensions to the ODF
format.

I understand from what is said that improvements are introduced into the ODF document in a
way that they will be ignored by older implementations and other implementations that are
unaware of them.  The intention is to map to and from .doc in a reliable manner.

 1. How are the extensions introduced such that conforming ODF consumers will ignore them
properly?  Will users be able to turn off the improvements in order to produce conforming
ODF documents?

 2. Will ignoring the extensions result in an usable conforming ODF document and will round-trip
return to the producer of the extensions be tolerable.  Should there be warning when an user
makes changes that rely on the improvements in a document that was not produced by an improvement-aware
implementation?

 3. How are the improvement extensions to the ODF format being made known so that other consumers
of ODF can support them either partially or completely to provide a smoother experience in
support of their users and in providing interoperability?

-----Original Message-----
From: chengjh [mailto:chengjh@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 00:25
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Subject: Re: [Review|Discussion]For Ideas and Comments on the Vision of Writer's Track Changes
Improvement

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your feedback.Please say my a),b),c) and d).

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

[ ... ]

> Because of this, it is important to understand how your proposed Track
> Changes Improvement will be reflect in the ODF 1.2 documents consumed and
> produced by Apache OpenOffice at this time.  That is, what needs to be done
> in the format, if anything, and how is interoperable communication of that
> handled in the persistent document?

b) One of the significant principles of the improvement is to keep
compatibility
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Design_Principles
with
previous releases of AOO/Symphony in order to ensure the persistent
document. The new formats saved in the improvement will be lost when being
launched into old versions' AOO/Symphony.

[ ... ]