incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Java
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 17:25:54 GMT
There are already open-source Java-based viewers for some level of ODF support.

A few run on Android, for example.

These are not browser-installed though.

Perhaps you would like to connect with one of those developments and see how easy it is, or
is not, to use via JavaFX or an equivalent.

This is all about finding someone able and willing to do the work and carry it through to
something that can be released.  This is enough of a deviation from working on the mainline
AOOi distributions, etc., that you might want to look beyond the AOO project for someone already
doing work on homebrew lightweight implementations based on libraries such as JOpenDocument.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Cassia [mailto:fcassia@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 09:13
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Java

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM, suhail ansari <suhailazaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenOffice should be rewritten in JavaFX.

Why do you think it has to be a zero-sum game?. "rewritten in" implies
abandoning the previous code.

I, instead, think a Java-based (whether JavaFX or not, I'll leave it
to the implementators), open source .ODF "document viewer" that can be
launched via .jnlp (JWS ' Java Web Start) from a single click from a
web browser.

That is something that I'd love to see, and I guess the Lotus Symphony
Java components could be integrated with something like this
http://www.jopendocument.org/

to create such a lighteweight, Java-based ODF viewer (which could then
feature an "edit" button that would launch the full Apache OO suite if
the user decides he wants to edit the document, and if not available
on the system, launch a web browser pointing towards the
openoffice.org download page).

FC