incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: OpenOffice in Java
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 17:57:15 GMT
@Rony,

I have no intention to bash Java.

However, the ability to support extensions and scripting including optional reliance on a
JVM hosting is not the same as reworking AOOi as Java-hosted software.  In fact, it is no
longer to have a JVM to install AOOi (or LibreOffice) and JREs are no longer distributed as
part of the installs.

I am not a party to any of that.  I am simply observing it.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) [mailto:rony@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 07:26
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: OpenOffice in Java

On 05.07.2012 22:04, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2012 um 19:57 schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
... cut ...
>> 3. Are you aware that the tendency is to remove Java dependencies from OpenOffice?
I don't know the reasoning, but it is happening.
AFAICT there was quite an anti-Java stance before the OpenJDK came along by different groups.

Therefore, I was surprised to read this statement, because for quite some time there has been
no
"Java-bashing", which IMHO would just simply be stupid, unfprofessional and actually harm
AOO in
todays world.

> really, I don't see it at AOO at the moment. I still recommend Java for extensions because
it's
> much easier to develop and to maintain on all platforms.
+1

In addtion, the very important AOO scripting framework is totally Java based.
(BTW, this does not mean that one is only able to deploy Java-implemented script languages,
but it
means that it is very easy to add any Java-based scripting language in addition to AOO. As
another
example there is an oxt-package that adds the C++ implemented ooRexx scripting language to
AOO/LO
exploiting/using the Java based scripting framework, and it works well and fast.)

---rony