incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: OpenOffice in Java
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 17:57:15 GMT

I have no intention to bash Java.

However, the ability to support extensions and scripting including optional reliance on a
JVM hosting is not the same as reworking AOOi as Java-hosted software.  In fact, it is no
longer to have a JVM to install AOOi (or LibreOffice) and JREs are no longer distributed as
part of the installs.

I am not a party to any of that.  I am simply observing it.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rony G. Flatscher (Apache) []
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 07:26
Subject: Re: OpenOffice in Java

On 05.07.2012 22:04, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2012 um 19:57 schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
... cut ...
>> 3. Are you aware that the tendency is to remove Java dependencies from OpenOffice?
I don't know the reasoning, but it is happening.
AFAICT there was quite an anti-Java stance before the OpenJDK came along by different groups.

Therefore, I was surprised to read this statement, because for quite some time there has been
"Java-bashing", which IMHO would just simply be stupid, unfprofessional and actually harm
AOO in
todays world.

> really, I don't see it at AOO at the moment. I still recommend Java for extensions because
> much easier to develop and to maintain on all platforms.

In addtion, the very important AOO scripting framework is totally Java based.
(BTW, this does not mean that one is only able to deploy Java-implemented script languages,
but it
means that it is very easy to add any Java-based scripting language in addition to AOO. As
example there is an oxt-package that adds the C++ implemented ooRexx scripting language to
exploiting/using the Java based scripting framework, and it works well and fast.)

View raw message