incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: Suggestion - file format
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:06:52 GMT
I am concerned that a bad behavior is being suggested.

 1. Apache OpenOffice does not "own" the ODF file-format extensions, ODT, ODP, ODS, etc.
( did not either.)

 2. It is rude to take over those associations on install if they are already associated with
a different application.

 3. In case that the associations are found to already exist and not be for a version being
updated, the associations should not be changed without consulting the user.  (This problem
has already been encountered and handled well in cases where common multimedia extensions
are supported by more than one application, such as Windows Media Player, Apple QuickTime,
and RealPlayer.)

There may be a way to register Apache OpenOffice as a secondary application that can be selected
easily by Windows Users even when the default association is not to Apache OpenOffice.

 - Dennis

PS: The handling of the associations that are customarily associated with Microsoft Office
file formats can be similar.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shenfeng Liu []
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 07:52
Subject: Re: Suggestion - file format

My 2 cents:
1. OpenOffice should always associate the ODF files. No need to provide an
option for user to check off. We can notify it during installation.
2. We should provide a check box for users to decide if he/she want
OpenOffice to associate with MS Office format.
3. Setting MS Office format as default should not be encouraged (even
purely from technical perspective, our data modal does not well match the
MS Office format), but maybe we should keep the possibility in case any
customer really want it (e.g. during the IT transition phase...). We can
make it as a kind of customization that not as easy as you can find a place
in UI to set it, but IT admin can config it before the deployment.

- Simon

[ ... ]

View raw message