incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [UX] Review of MS Office 2013 UI
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 04:14:47 GMT
What I find interesting is the fact that inexpensive upgrades from Windows XP to Windows 8
will be available.

I have no idea how many XP configurations will qualify as able to run Windows 8 though.

There will be some sort of Windows 8 Compatibility Advisor program for qualifying machines
for upgrade.  I will try it on my aging Toshiba Tablet PC as soon as I can.  I figure if there
are problems, it is likely over drivers that Toshiba didn't make available beyond Vista.

I'm still startled by how well Office Preview handles and produces ODF documents.  I haven't
run anything very demanding though.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 19:51
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [UX] Review of MS Office 2013 UI

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Kevin Grignon
<kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that MS Office 2013 is starting to be reviewed. Check out the
> C|NET review and supporting screen shots:
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/office-suites/the-new-microsoft-office/4505-3524_7-35374636.html

What I thought was interesting was that they were no longer going to
support Windows XP and Vista.   Office 2013 will require Windows 7 or
8.

If we look at OpenOffice, only 58% of our Windows downloaders have
been on Windows 7. (<1% Wndows 8).  So 42% or so on versions of
Windows that will not be supported in next version of MS Office.

It will be interesting to see what happens around April 2014, when
both Windows XP and Office 2003 support ends.  There could be a few
hundred million users looking for a Windows productivity suite that is
still supported by someone.

-Rob