incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Suggestion - file format
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 05:02:51 GMT
I just installed the free Microsoft Office 2013 Preview, released today.  It is on my Windows
7 desktop and a Windows 8 (the last running in a virtual machine).

Here is how collisions with file associations are handled:

 1. Office 2013 over Office 2010

On my desktop, all of the icons for Microsoft Office documents changed to the new format.
 Now when I double-click on them, Office 2013 applications open the document.

In the folder where the files are, there are also new thumbnail icons for the same documents.
 However, the context menu for .docx and .xslx shows that both 2013 and the original 2010
applications as available in the "Open With ..." dialog.  Either opens the document in the
appropriate applications and is still operating without problems; there seems to be no interference
between 2010 and 2013 programs.  Also, the LibreOffice file associations on the context menu
were intact. (I am using LibreOffice on the machine where I did this.)  Likewise for Quattro
Pro X5 in the case of Excel documents.

 2. Office on ODF

In this case, there is no modification of the file associations.  They remain set to LibreOffice.

However, Office 2013 applications are now offered in place of the Office 2010 on the context
menu Open With ... dialog.  (I assume that I can add the Office 2010 ones back in, but I want
to do interop testing with Office 2013 anyhow, especially now that Excel supports OpenFormula
in its open and save of ODF 1.2 documents.)

When I opened a downloaded .odt using the Microsoft Word association, two things happened:
The ODT document opened cleanly in "Protected View" because the file was from the Internet
(and this is recorded in the file-server location where the file was stored).  In addition,
a dialog box opened that noticed Microsoft Word is not the default program and "would I like
to select the file types that Word should open?"  I declined.  I could have turned off the
message also.

 3. Takeaways

I think this is a good model to follow.  Microsoft has smoothed it over time and it covers
the bases while being friendly with the presence of other preferences and applications.

I have screen captures of the cases that I described, if anyone is interested.  If there is
a Windows 8 Certification bugzilla that these would fit on, I am happy to add them there.

 - Dennis