incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Terms of Service on Forums
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 01:45:39 GMT
Um, yes, it definitely is the ASF that should be standing behind the ToU.  They're the only
legal entity.

Of CollabNet ToU, I know not.  The terms.mdtext that Kay found are very much the ToU of the
original openoffice.org site, with someone's tweaking.  So Oracle used them.

I think removing legalese is fine, until it become bad legalese.

What more would you remove?

 - Dennis

PS: I notice there needs to be some improvement in what the terms apply to.  The found one
did not mention forums.  I think it should be about the openoffice.org domain and its subdomains.
 incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg is a different game.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 17:44
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Terms of Service on Forums

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> @Kay
>
> Well, just to prove to myself that I can make use of the ASF CMS Bookmarklet, I edited
the terms.html page.  [I didn't trigger publication though, so you may have to find them in
the staging place.]

> Here are the essential changes I made:
>
> I eliminated AOO-PPMC as the authority, since it isn't.  I used the Apache Software Foundation
as the HOST.

If  we think the ASF is the authority, then they should determine the
ToU, right?

In any case, this looks like the old CollabNet ToU, doesn't it?  It
looks like Dave checked in last August.  It will fit our needs as much
as a stranger's shoes would fit me.

In any case, my original suggestion still applies: Let's stop trying
to hack the legalese of existing ToU written by and for other
organizations, since none of are lawyers and we do not understand
fully how the parts fit together.  Instead, let's state, in plain
English, what we want to cover in the ToU and then go to legal-discuss
for the wordsmithing.

-Rob

[ ... ]