incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [UX] Review of MS Office 2013 UI
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:22:54 GMT
People who are curious about the Office 2013/365 UI can check out the SkyDrive Web Apps preview
that is now online,
  <http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-updated-office-web-apps-whats-new-7000001314/>
  <https://skydrive.live.com/?officebeta=1>

You'll need a Windows Live ID if you don't have one already.  It should work from most browsers,
including Chrome and FireFox, as well as IE.  I just confirmed that it works with IE8 on Windows
XP, not just IE9 on Windows 7.  I also got the same results in Chrome on Zorin Core (a Ubuntu
derivative) x64 in Oracle VirtualBox.  I didn't manage it on my WindowsPhone 7 though.

  I stumbled on this yesterday and I noticed three things in looking closer today:

 1. The UI is much like that in the desktop versions of the Office Preview (and it is easy
to collapse the Ribbon for those who don't like it, especially when just viewing).

 2. In addition to SkyDrive storing ODT, ODP, and ODS format documents, there is now support
for viewing them and editing them in the WebApps.  For the ODS that I uploaded and tested,
it makes a copy for editing so that any differences in ODF support don't corrupt the uploaded
version.  There is also a compatibility warning if the file copy is edited.  (There are such
warnings for Office features that aren't handled in the WebApps at this time.)  It is thrilling
to see the formulas be preserved and working, all in the Excel UI.

 3. The SkyDrive and Office WebApps available in browsers are very handy for confirmation
of document interchange problems.  This is another way to convert documents between formats
and also confirm what documents look like in the Office applications, so long as WebApp features
are sufficient.

 - Dennis