incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Suggestion - file format
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 01:13:18 GMT
The setting of file associations, and there removal, are generally during install and uninstall.

I've not seen this at other startups of productivity software.  (The exceptions are default
browser and default mail handler when a starting application notices that it is not the default.)

For AOOi, having a Tools | Options ... general dialog/wizard for controlling file associations
seems useful for having it available at any time without getting in the users face.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Douglas Pitonyak [mailto:andrew@pitonyak.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 15:05
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Suggestion - file format

On 07/12/2012 09:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
[ ... ]
> 2) Each time we we start up AOO check to make sure we are the default
> handler for ODF files.  If we are not, then prompt the user whether
> they want to make AOO be the default handler.  This protects the user
> if another application takes over our file extensions.   Also have an
> option for the user to disable this check.
>
> Maybe something to consider in 3.5 or 3.6?
>
> -Rob

Checking on every start would be annoying if I don't want OOo as the
default. if possible, check to see if it used to be the default and it
no longer is. Prompt the user. if user says no, then next start, do not
prompt again.

On the other hand, if this capability becomes part of OOo, then provide
some mechanism for the user to cause it to happen from inside of OOo.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php