incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Commit message summaries
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:22:15 GMT
	Hi,

On 21.06.2012 14:10, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 6/21/12 11:47 AM, Herbert Duerr wrote:
[..]
> good point and I agree.
>
> That means we use something like
>
> ###
> <issuenumber> + <1_line_summary/description>
>
> <longer description_on_demand>
>
> <patch_by_on_demand>
> ###
>
> where
>
> <issuenumber> is
>
> - either the plain <number> + ":"
> - or #<number>#
> - or #i<number>#
>
> I can live with all but we should agree on one notation. My preference
> is the first and then the second. I don't think we need the lower case
> 'i' anymore.

For me in the order of preference I would use:
- #<number># (we have only one tracker, no need for flags like 'i')
- #i<number>#

I would not like plain <number> + ":", it is just too hard to recognize
(also to grep for). Maybe it's years of training, but I can simply
immediately scan if in a task and/or description a Task-ID is included
or not, just because of the #-usages.

Removal of older tokenized values will depend on being able to identify
those reliable 100% which I doubt being possible. I sometimes just enter
a found ID to bugracker, if it does not exist, it's old. If it does
exist, a short look at it normally makes clear if it is related or not
(because it was from another tracker). Inconvenient, but better than
nothing *sigh*.

> Older commit messages can be interpreted by knowing the older
> conventions and today we have only one bugtracker.
>
> Issues from other bugtracker systems should be ideally duplicated in our
> system. The other systems can be public or private bug tracking systems
> and issue numbers of the latter ones don't help anybody.

+1