incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][3.4.1]: Include only one en-US dictionary extension
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:15:35 GMT

On Jun 25, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:

> On 19.06.2012 09:17, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> On 19.06.2012 05:07, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>> there have been some reports of users complaining that the Thesaurus
>>> does not work.
> [...]
>>> As this bug has its root in the dictionary extensions, the only thing we
>>> can do to fix it is just provide only one extension, in this case
>>> dict-en.oxt.
>> Dropping the other english dictionaries is a good idea for other
>> reasons, too.  Issue 119272
>> ( describes the
>> problem of all dictionaries using more than 160MB, most of this are the
>> large thesaurus files.  Including only one english dictionary would
>> reduce this number considerably.  Besides, it contains support for most
>> variants of English anyway.
> I would like to go forward on this but am not sure that we reached consensus.  Are there
still concerns about this?  If nobody complains in the next 72 hours then I will remove all
English extensions except dict-en.oxt for both the standard English version and the British
English version.
> See also issue 120033 ( for details.

My concerns are answered. Users of the released versions will suffer no ill effects.

Please include detail about this change in the release notes for version 3.4.1.

Thanks & Regards,

> -Andre

View raw message