incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 04:35:53 GMT

On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:45 PM, Kevin Grignon wrote:

> KG01 - see comments inline.
>
> On Jun 6, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM, chengjh <chengjh@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We see,the old OpenOffice.org wiki
>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page  has accumulated plenty
>>> of valuable information,including planning,function specification,technical
>>> documents and so on..Currently,the planning and project tracking parts have
>>> been moved to
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home,that means a
>>> new start of the project.Because the two wikis are two different wiki
>>> software systems,moreover, there are existing different writing styles
>>> between them and writers need accounts for them respectively, it is not
>>> convenient for writers to write wiki articles when switching between
>>> them...So, I propose to create a new wiki for developers to record
>>> technical documents,technical review,proposals/ideas,function specification
>>> and design,and so on by sub-project categories, for example,we can move the
>>
>> We actually already have a 3rd wiki, for developers:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home
>>
>> Here is the history:
>>
>> The MediaWiki instance was the legacy wiki, used by OpenOffce.org project
>>
>> When the Apache project was create, we had two new wiki's created.
>> Remember at that time we had not yet migrated the MediaWiki over to
>> Apache, and it was not certain whether we would be able to do it.
>>
>> The two new wikis were:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home    This
>> was the "community wiki" where anyone could create an account and edit
>> content.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home   This
>> wiki was restricted to committers.
>>
>> The OOODEV wiki made it suitable for content that might make it into a
>> product release.  For example logos, draft help, etc.  If this was put
>> on an open wiki, where anyone would access it, then we'd need to do
>> much more work to track permissions if we wanted to move something
>> from the wiki into SVN for use in a release.  Having a wiki that was
>> only writable by committers ensure that the content is always under
>> ALv2.
>>
>> If we want to go to a single wiki, I think we should resolve the
>> license issue.    And we should also encourage CTR by ensuring that
>> there is an email notification for changes.  We do that for CWiki
>> today.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> KG01 - While I appreciate that wiki-oriented design and development resources are scarce,
we should consider forming a swat team to sort this out. As a distributed team we need usable
tools and useful info. To help orient readers, and make active versus archival material distinct,
we should consider a rapid visual refresh, or some other predominant visual affordable. The
current "document: outdated" is not predominant enough.

Rob's description is entirely correct. He does leave out some of the detail which is basically
for whatever reason the former Admin of the wiki and forum did not take well to the Apache
way. He DID step up and get it migrated and Terry E's effort is much appreciated,

It is good that imacat has stepped up to fulfill the role of sysadmin for the MediaWiki. Anyone
else?

I'll add that the OOODEV CWiki has been barely used, it should certainly be dropped and any
existing content moved to OOOUSERS

Regards,
Dave