incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: References to "Apache OpenOffice"
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 03:31:54 GMT
Hi Nick,

I'm top posting because it is clear to me what is happening here:

(1) The Title of the AOO blog is "Apache OpenOffice (Incubating)"

(2) The Title of various blog entries includes the phrase "Apache OpenOffice", but not the
phrase "Apache OpenOffice (incubating)".

I have the karma and will fix these blog entry titles except for the Japanese one, but I'm
going to wait 24 hours.

Regards,
Dave

On Jun 23, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> @Nick,
>
> Ross offered to come to the AOOi PPMC to fix it.  I'm not clear what the PPMC has to
do with it.

> Specifically, @TheASF is not of AOOi PPMC origin.  The question is, who is expected to
do something about that and how is it to be communicated to them?  Someone else is responsible
for those tweets and their aggregation on the ASF home page.

> Also, you refer to a blog post by Rob Weir on his own site.  It is true that Rob Weir
is a member of the AOOi PPMC, but that blog site is not a product of the AOOi PPMC and its
aggregation into Roller is no different than the aggregation of any Apache committer posts
that a committer arranges to include in the feed picked-up by Roller.  (I believe the PPMC
did authorize that "Get it Here" image and link to be used by sites that wanted to promote
the availability of the software.  If there should have been greater formality before doing
that, there are places to raise that specific problem.)

> My concern is how to determine what the infractions are that someone can do something
about and also being clear who that someone is expected to be.  The general claim just has
us running around like headless chickens over on ooo-dev.

is used in the blog title.   E.g., <https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/5_million_downloads_of_apache>.

> So what appears on www.apache.org doesn't matter?
>
> Nor what appears on planet.apache.org, featuring the article that first struck me
> as using the name in a way I wouldn't expect when I read it in my feed reader:
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2012/06/pache-openoffice-34-downloads.html
>
>> Would it have been sufficient to add it in the title of the individual post, and
in the first mention in the opening paragraph?

> I should think so, but that's just me!
>
>> How many times do you require that the qualifier be used to satisfy the requirement
for identifying incubation as the origin of a release, an announcement, etc?