incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pootle and New Contributor Category
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 00:50:45 GMT
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2012, at 4:30 PM, RGB ES wrote:

topic here: Working with
results in translators
on the mailing list. The
process is desirable or not

It's up to the project to

user management which
new users and where
Maybe combined

be possible at all.

work together with them

If legal@ feel

for access to the pootle server.

>>> Why not allow that to everyone?  I'm trying to see what harm would
>>> come from that?  No one needs special permission to enter a BZ issue
>>> and attach a patch.  Why can't someone log into Pootle and enter a
>>> suggestion?  Is there a technical reason why this is not happening?
>>>

>> AFAIK, right now accept suggestions is not working but once this
>> problem is solved I think that "opening" the system so anyone can
>> issue a suggestion is really good: the analogy with BZ is just
>> perfect.
>
> Let's think of my idea as a possible compromise depending on what concerns Infrastructure
has with opening up pootle. Recall we are not the only project using this resource.

So long as your idea is to allowed logged in users to offer
suggestions, then fine.  That is what RGB and I are say as well.

But let's not reduce our view of the task of translation to such a
level that we think this is a job that is trivial.   It is difficult,
requires skill, and more skill than just knowing another language.  It
can be done well, and it can be done poorly.  As such this skill
should be demonstrated and observed within the community within a RTC
environment before committership (free access to CRT) is offered.
We should be as concerned with quality here as with any other part of
the product.  As with code, some merit might be earned from effort on
the legacy project.  But I don't think we solve any real problem by
giving open access to CTR.

So I don't see this at all as being a Infra question.  And it has
nothing to do with the iCLA.   It is more a RTC versus CTR question
regarding core content of a release.  If someone has demonstrated
merit, then we could make them a committer.  If they have not, then
their contributions should be RTC.  I'm hoping that can be RTC with
some sort of identity so we can track who they are and what their
contributions have been.

Yes, finding a reviewer for some languages might be difficult.
Finding good reviewers for critical sections of multi-threaded C++
code is hard as well.  But we don't solve that problem by letting
non-committers check in multi-threaded C++ code without a review
because we think finding a reviewer is hard.

And remember, translation requires PO files, but it does not require
Pootle.  Contributors who are new to the project can work off-line
with the PO files, and submit translations via attachments to BZ
issues.  They can demonstrate merit and then be voted in as
committers.