incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Translation testing
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:42:43 GMT
On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 19/06/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> If we want to have a reputation for high quality I think we need to
>> find a way to get beyond "solo translations", by which I mean
>> translations done by own person, with no independent review. ...
>>
>> Maybe we can promote the availability of a new translation, with help
>> from the translator, among our user base.  So notices on Twitter,
>> blogs, and native-language tech sites.
>

> We should always be inclusive: rejecting a translation because it has been
> done by one person only will just put additional obstacles to support
> minority languages.
>
> I agree on accepting all translations and creating dev builds for those
> translations. Then, if we want to have some quality control, I'd put as a
> "highly recommended" pre-release step an explicit evaluation of localized
> versions: an Italian-speaking volunteer will take care of vouching for the
> quality of Italian builds and so on, and we collect these approvals on a
> wiki page. We could also recommend that, whenever possible, the review is
> done by someone else than the original translator, to avoid the "solo
> translations" problems Rob outlines.

I'm making the assumption that every new translation, 100% of them,
has some errors.  The question is how do we find the errors before we
release?  And what level of quality is required to release something
under the Apache OpenOffice name?

Three basic errors:

1) Formatting errors in translated strings that break some
functionality of the program.

2) Language errors in the translation.

3) Errors in the core AOO code revealed by translation.

#1 is more serious, maybe some of this can be automated?

#2 is where we really need native speakers, but the errors are less
serious in most cases.

#3 is more serious, but I think we solve it by having representative
languages done early and more thoroughly reviewed, e.g., at least one
BiDi language, at least one language with longer words than English
(like German), at least one CJK language, etc.

-Rob