incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:52:10 GMT
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>> [snip]

>>> Ok, I will add en-US tomorrow morning 10:00 (GMT+2).
>>>

>> I was a little bit late - I was caught by some hacking to solve issues.
>>
>> OOo 3.3 Update Service is now active for:
>> - Italian since Tuesday 10:00 (GMT+2)
>> - Spanish and Japanese since Thurday 10:00 (GMT+2)
>> - English (US) since Friday 11:00 (GMT+2)
>>

> We are in a good shape with our OOo 3.3 update service.
>
> Thus, I will add tomorrow morning 09:30 (GMT+2)
> - Chinese (simplified) with download page http://www.openoffice.org/download

Maybe better would be:  http://www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/

That would give them more context, including the translation of the
AOO 3.4 announcement.

Same here, maybe better would be:  http://www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/

> - Dutch with http://www.openoffice.org/nl/downloaden.html
> - French with http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
> - German with http://www.openoffice.org/download

I wonder if better would be:  http://www.openoffice.org/de/

So this is a question for others as well.   We can either:

1) Point the user to the download page specifically, which is often in
English, rather than NL

or

2) Point the user to the NL page where available, provided it has a
prominent download link.

Advantage of #1 is it eliminates an extra mouse click.  Advantage of
#2 is it gives the user additional NL context, including the AOO 3.4
announcement and other material.  So #2 is probably easier for someone
with less English language skills.

-Rob