incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 15:15:10 GMT
I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
volunteers.

=How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice=

==Introduction==

OpenOffice traditionally has had excellent localization support,
especially with its support of over 100 languages, including many
minority languages that are not commonly supported in commercial
products.  Our community-led, all-volunteer, open source development
model facilitates this.

Each new version of OpenOffice requires the translations to be
updated, to add translations for terms and phrases that have been
added or changed in the product.  So maintaining support for any given
translation is an ongoing effort, requiring volunteers to help keep
the translations current, complete and accurate.

A list of translations available in the most-recent release of Apache
OpenOffice can be found here:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

A larger list of languages, including ones that have incomplete
translations are listed here:
https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/

[ Is that the correct URL?  There were other AOO-related projects on
Pootle as well. ]

[ Also, is that the entire list of PO files or do we have others?  I
thought we had more than 71 languages ]

==How to Help==

First, register your interest.   We track a list of volunteers
interested in helping with each language on our wiki here: XXXX

[ This doesn't exist yet, but I propose adding it ]

You should add your name to that list, and send an email to
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org to introduce yourself and your interest
in helping with that language.

[ I'd love to start a new list, ooo-i10n@incubator.apache.org to
handle this and the following translation coordination issues ]

If a build with your language already exists, you should download and
install.  If you find errors in the translation, you can report it
directly as a bug report in Bugzilla
(https://issues.apache.org/ooo/enter_bug.cgi?product=native-lang) or
enter a suggested fix into Pootle (more on Pootle below).

If a build is not yet ready for your language, then that typically
means that the translation is not yet complete.  You can help finish
the translation in several ways:

1) You can send a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n list if we
make one] requesting the PO file for that language.  This file can be
loaded into a translation management tool where you can edit the
translation.  When done, or when you've make progress that you want to
verify, you can submit the new PO file as an attachment in Bugzilla.
This approach works well if you are the only person working on a
translation.

[ I need a list of some suggested tools that can be used with PO files ]

2) You can suggest translations on our Pootle server:
https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/   Logins to Pootle are
reserved for project "Committers" (those volunteers who have
demonstrated sustained contributions to the project and have been
voted in as committers).  So initially you will need to work with
Pootle via suggestions.  But translators who have made substantial
contributions via their efforts are regularly give Committer rights.

3) Whichever method you use, when you have completed the initial
translation, send a note to ooo-dev  [or ooo-i10n list if we make
one].  At that point we can make a special test build of Apache
OpenOffice for you to review.  If more changes are required in the
translation, we can iterate on these steps, making changes, making new
test builds, etc.

Note:  This process works best if there is a community of users
supporting the effort, and not just a single translator.  The
additional users, even if they cannot help with the translation
directly, they can help review the test build and point out errors in
translation, as well as other localization errors.  Others on the
OpenOffice project might be able to help you find other interested
users, so let us know, via a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n
list if we make one], if you want that help.

[ Anything else we should add?   I assume we already have more on the
website someplace on the technical details of translation, dealing
with formatting strings and other non-translatable content, dealing
with substitutions in a string, etc. ]

[ A separate topic, and one where we could use an equivalent document,
would be How to Help Translate the Website ]