incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tolerance and acceptance
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:06:48 GMT
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> I move that there is no need to continue to fuel the fires of AOO vs
> LO. The PPMC is now effective at ignoring anti-AOO materials on our
> own lists. I suggest the PPMC should further silence inflammatory
> posts that are anti-LO on our lists.

And what about negative posts about AOO?  Shoul we "silence" those?  I
hope not.  Negative posts from users (within some bounds of decorum)
is valuable feedback to the project.  I think we should value frank
discourse about the product and where it falls short.

I don't think we expect users to be familiar with The Apache Way or
even mailing lists in general.  We see all sorts of disorderly conduct
on ooo-users, from SCREAMING ALL CAPS, to flames, etc.  Project
members, on the other hand, should lead by example, and focus on
constructive comments.

So although I agree with your sentiment here, I think we need to be
very careful when considering "silencing inflammatory posts" in
general, since a ham fisted approach would also silence criticism of
AOO, which is valuable to receive.

-Rob