incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject [DRAFT] Update notifications for OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 Installations
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:28:01 GMT
I'm proposing to send the following note out to ooo-announce and
ooo-users.    We should be making such information available for
admins and others who support OOo installations.  We probably should
have sent this out earlier, but better now than never.

Is there anything else we should add that would be off use to an admi?

For example, it is common for larger companies to disable such auto
updates for critical software.  Instead they prefer to test such
upgrades first, and then roll them out via a login script.   How would
an admin disable the notifications?

Regards,

-Rob

-------------------------------------

We have enabled the upgrade notification server for OpenOffice.org
3.3.0.  By default OOo 3.3.0 checks for updates once a week.  When an
upgrade is available, a dialog pops up and notifies the user about the
update, and directs them to a website where they can learn more and
download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.

The update notifications are HTTP GET requests to an openoffice.org
address, using standard ports and protocols. So no special
administrative action should be required to enable receipt of these
notifications.

If you are an OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 user and have not received an
upgrade notification yet, you can manually check via the "Help/Check
for Upgrades" menu item in OpenOffice.  Or, go directly to
http://download.openoffice.org to download Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0.