incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:57:50 GMT
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM, O.Felka <olaf-openoffice@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> this is not true. The unpacked files are needed for the so called
>>> 'maintenance mode': Starting the setup from the control panel offers you
>>> a repair and a modify mode. That's what the unpacked files are needed
>>> for.
>>> What we might delete is the packed file.
>>

>> But do we really need the maintenance mode?  There are not that many
>> applications on my system that offer one.  We are talking about 130 MB
>> of additional disk space.
>

> As long as we don't install the complete office we need the maintenance
> mode.
> Applications that don't offer several modules as AOO does don't need a
> 'Modify' mode.
> If we want to offer to install e.g. only the Calc application we need the
> maintenance mode for these users that wants to use the Writer to a later
> time also.
> The 'Repair' option is also a part of the maintenance mode.
>
> As have written before, it's an option to delete the unpacked file to save
> disk space. The unpacked files can be used easier to distribute the AOO
> without downloading.
> In times of hard disks with TB size saving 130 MB is not so important for
> me.

Adobe does something similar.  I have on my Windows 7 an "Adobe"
directory on my desktop with subdirectories containing the install
files for Acrobat, Audition, various versions of Lightroom, CS5, etc.

But as user I don't really like this.  For example, as a back policy I
back up my entire desktop.  But it doesn't make sense waste time and
storage to backup unchanging install sets that I could download again
at any time.  Sure, I could customize my backup policy (and in my case
I have).  But it doesn't make sense to me that these install sets are
even visible to me as an end user.  It makes more sense for them to be
hidden away someplace.

IMHO, of course.

-Rob