incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Category-B tarballs (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process)
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:03:52 GMT
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:
> On 31.05.2012 18:12, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>

>>> You are talking about a new branch, right, not the 3.4.1 branch?
>>>

>> I thought the 3.4.1 branch would be appropriate.  Move the category-b
>> tarballs to Apache Extras, and make the build fetch from there instead
>> of from SVN.  That way the trunk's copy of these dependencies doesn't
>> disappear yet.  Then when we release 3.4.1, we have a release that is
>> not dependent on the SVN copies, and we can safely remove them then.
>

> My understanding is that we have to make sure that the files referenced by
> the (source) release do not go away.  That did not work so well for the 3.4
> release because they where referenced on trunk.  If the 3.4.1 release
> references the files on the branch then that should be safe(r).
> Trunk is where the main part of development takes place.

In an ideal world, yes.  We would never break the AOO 3.4.0 release
source package.  But one compromise could be to first relocate the
cat-b tarballs for 3.4.1 release.  And once that release is made, then
do the changes that would break the 3.4.0 source package.

If we do this then we ensure that the latest source distribution can
always build.