incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UX][Volunteers Needed] - Harvesting Social Data
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:52:54 GMT
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Kevin Grignon
<kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> As mentioned in an earlier post, collectively, our social assets present a
> huge opportunity to engage the AOO user community, capture insight,
> feedback and thoughts on the current health of our products, and our future
> product direction.
>
> Harvesting data from our social media assets, forums and mailing lists is
> an extremely challenging task. With soooooooo much content in disparate
> sources, it is likely that many threads will fade into the archives.
> However, we can attempt to harvest any insight that is considered relevant
> and actionable - so that the valueable data is not lost.
>
> Also, some AOO contributors cannot access some social media sites.
> Capturing social data in the AOO UX wiki also ensures the relevant and
> actionable social data is open, accessible and visible to all.
>
> To be clear, I understand that such effort is not going to capture
> everything, nor is it ever complete. Rather, this is a chance to capture
> any notable insight that could help drive informed design and development
> decisions in the future. Some data is better than none.
>
> Also, some international AOO contributors cannot access some social media
> sites. Capturing social data in the AOO UX wiki also ensures the relevant
> and actionable social data is open, accessible and visible to all.
>
> I have created a number of pages within the AOO UX wiki [1] for harvesting
> and capturing social data.
>
> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_Social_Data
>
> I invite everyone to harvest insight from our social media and post to the
> wiki. If you see something relevant, that could be actionable, please
> harvest this information and post to the wiki. Feel free to tweak the
> document table format to suite the content.

So it looks like your idea for the wiki was to host not all the raw
data, but for someone to pick out the "interesting" stuff and post
that.  That makes sense to me.

I have a bunch of raw data, if anyone is interested in sorting through
it.  I've been collecting Twitter "tweets" that mention 'openoffice'
since the start of June.  I believe what I have is comprehensive,
several thousand posts.  There is a bit of profanity there, with some
frustrated users, so posting it raw format might be too raw.   But if
anyone wants to volunteer to go through the posts and pick out the
"interesting" ones, I can send them the complete list via email.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

-Rob