incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 00:39:11 GMT
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 07.06.2012 14:19, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

>>> Thx for the feedback.
>>>
>>> Thus, for German we will direct the user to English (US) download page.
>>>
>>> Question for discussion:
>>> Should we use the English (US) download page as a fallback for the
>>> languages
>>> for which we have no localized download page?
>>> orw's opinion: I am not in favor of such a fallback, but I currently see
>>> no
>>> other solution.
>>>

>> I think we still want to gradually enable the upgrade notifications
>> over the next week.  Maybe we start with those that have good NL
>> download pages.  But at the end, we really need to enable everyone to
>> upgrade.  AOO 3.4 has important security patches.  So at the end, if
>> there is no good NL page we would direct them to the default English
>> page.   And if we get an improved NL page in the future, we can add
>> support for that,
>>
>>> Another question for discussion:
>>> Does it make sense to adapt the URL parameter "utm_source=OOo3_3" to
>>> "utm_source=OOo3_3_[language code]" in order to distinguish the languages
>>> on
>>> this level?
>>>

>> Not really necessary.  Google already tracks the country and locale,
>> so we can already see the distribution that way.  It also tracks the
>> platform.
>>

> That is right.
> But Google Analytics can not track the language of the installed OOo 3.3
> which directs the user to the download page.
> Thus, I propose to perform the above proposed change to the URL parameter.

A mystery:   I'm still seeing a small % (a little of 1%) of downloads
coming with the utm_source parameter set to "OOo3_3", without any
language code.  But when I check your XML file I don't see this.

Any idea what this could be coming from?

-Rob