incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [UX] Harvesting social data
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 01:29:55 GMT
.On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Kevin Grignon
<> wrote:
> Collectively, our social assets present a huge opportunity to engage the
> AOO user community, capture insight, feedback and thoughts on the current
> health of our products, and our future product direction.
> Harvesting data from our social media assets, forums and mailing lists is
> an extremely challenging task. With soooooooo much content in disparate
> sources, it is likely that many threads will fade into the archives.
> However, we can attempt to harvest any insight that is considered relevant
> and actionable - so that the valueable data is not lost.

A tip that should be better known, for doing a "rough sort" of Twitter
data:  When doing a search, add the string ":)" or ":(" to get
positive or negative posts.

For example, compare for "Obama :)" to "Obama :("
 (don't include the quotes)

This could be used as a simple form of sentiment analysis for
AOO-related queries.

> To be clear, I understand that such effort is not going to capture
> everything, nor is it ever complete. Rather, this is a chance to capture
> any notable insight that could help drive informed design and development
> decisions in the future. Some data is better than none.
> All are encouraged to capture and post data in the AOO UX wiki [1]. See the
> Google+ Data wiki page [2] for an example of how we might capture social
> data.
> [1]
> [2]
> Such raw data can help feed the development of informed UX work products
> moving forward. For example, such data can help us define our user roles,
> validate key usage scenarios and capture actionable product
> recommendations.
> Also, some AOO contributors cannot access some social media sites.
> Capturing social data in the AOO UX wiki also ensures the relevant and
> actionable social data is open, accessible and visible to all.
> Thoughts?
> Regards,
> Kevin

View raw message